Kitesurfing lessons – 5 Day Full Course – IKO Level 1+2 10h
Have you tried Kitesurfing lessons? If the answer is No, then you are missing out on the most exhilarating and fastest growing watersport around.
This course is ideal for all those that never had contact with the sport and wish to start from zero, is designed to take you from zero knowledge to the point where you are riding upwind and ready to try your first jumps.
With this course, beginners will be self suficient and become familiar enough with the equipment to feel safe to set up and go out on your own.
The first three days of the 5 days – zero to hero full course is essentially the same content as the “3 day kitesurf course – iko level 1+2 ’’, but with some more exercises because we increase the kite control in the first lessons, that way student has spent more time flying a kite the easier it is to progress with the water kites.
For new beginners kiters we always recommend a course of 10 hours. Hours can only be increased on the go if availability allows and the great thing about kitesurfing is that there is always something more to learn!
The day 1 lesson is essentially the start of a kitesurfing journey; this session will teach you all of the basics and prepare you for your kitesurfing adventures, in your first taste of real kite flying, you will get answers to the millions of questions that you have! After a short briefing, you start with the kite in your hands and you will learn about the principles of flying a kite in a safe environment.
- Know safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- Know hazards on a spot
- Set up a trainer kite
- Know the use of safety systems,
- Have basic flying skills with trainer kite,
- Launch and land the trainer kite with an assistant,
- Twist and untwist the lines while flying the kite,
- Walk and change directions while flying the kite,
- Know the wind window,
- Set-up a 4/5 line kite with a full de-power system,
- Pre-flight check of equipment and settings,
- In flight check of equipment and settings,
- Understand and use the international communication signals,
- Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant (4/5-line de-power kite),
- Control the kite hooked into the harness,
- Understand the de-power system and can use the safety systems,
- Advanced flying skills with the de-power kite,
- Show full control of de-power systems in flight,
- Pull quick release and activate leash,
- Recover the bar and kite.
From experience the more time a student has spent flying a powerkite the easier it is to progress with the water kites.
After this 3 hour kite surfing lesson you will be itching for your next session and the chance to get out on the water!
This lesson continues directly on from the basic kite skills learnt on first day and now the second day of the kitesurfing course is 100% practical, all the theory and land based work has been completed, we start the day re-enforcing the kite assembly learnt on the first day, and after that exercises…. It’s time to get wet! Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite
- Water re-launch the kite
- First body drag downwind
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window
- Change direction to the left and right while body dragging
- Recover the kite and bar in the water
- Upwind body drag to recover board
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand
- Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging
- Know the power stroke for a water start
- Know the safety rules and theory for water start
- Can put the board on the feet and maintain the correct position for water start
- Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance, Come to a controlled stop
- Understand weather forecast, tidal- and wind effects
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality
- Know the right of way rules
- Know equipment set up and choice according to the weather conditions.
This lesson continues directly on from the skills learnt on day 2 and is primarily aimed at getting you up and riding on the board and to a level where you feel like you can practice independently and safely after the course. The three day of the kitesurfing course is 100% practical, and this course provides another full day of tuition to really master your board control and become an independent kitesurfer.
This third day of tuition offers the extra time needed to become independent during kite launch/land and water re-launch as well as having the opportunity to experience different wind and sea conditions.
Be prepared for a full on day of fun!
We get you setup and straight in the water with your board, concentrating on getting you up and riding as quickly as possibly. This session aims to make you into capable of getting out on your own and being able to keep riding along for a short distance.
All done in the water we get you in control of both the kite and board, allowing you to practice retrieving the board, walking safely upwind with it, as well as launching and landing. We also improve your board start techniques and introduce the theory of prolonged power delivery and good stance which are the key to a successful longer ride.
On the last day of the lesson it really depends on the individual’s progression to what level you will be, most people are comfortable riding, some staying upwind, some even doing transition turns. We progress you through as quickly as possible whilst making you comfortable with all of the information and equipment.
We cannot promise that you’ll have it nailed after this course, but hopefully you’ll be well on the way! We’re still here to guide you with a ‘tune up’, but it’s all about time on the water from here. The only thing we do recommend is not to have too bigger break before you finish the course so that you do not forget everything and slow the progress of others when you return.
Now you can have 2hours/day during five days gear hire and expert advice for a extra charge of 75€day
- Includes: All equipment (helmet, buoyancy aid, harness, kite and board)
- Course Locations Portugal:
Portugal – Lisboa: Guincho Beach, near Cascais, Costa Caparica and Lagoa Albufeira, just south of Lisbon.
Portugal – Oeste: Lagoa de Óbidos, Peniche and Praia Areia Branca.
Portugal – Algarve: Lagos, Albufeira, Alvor and Fuseta.
- Duration: 10h training
- Price: 500€ per person
This is a great introduction to Kite surfing.
We teach you from the basics and take it right up to getting you kiteboarding upwind comfortably!